Saturday, June 20, 2009
Feeling Defeated
So I've been going to this Jazz class at Utah Academy on Saturday mornings, and today Rhonda the owner of the studio taught our class. She taught a lyrical type combination which I'm really not good at lyrical to begin with. It was a really long dance and she taught it really fast and she didn't use any counts or words to the song while she was teaching it so it was really hard for me to catch on to. Her style of dance and style of teaching I just could not wrap my brain around. So I was really lost all of class, it was kind of embarressing and I felt really retarded. Just last week we did a jazz/african inspired type number that I totally got and I felt I really rocked at, I felt so great when I left last week, confidence soaring and feeling so filled up and happy. Today I left feeling really crappy and defeated and like I suck at dancing. I HATE THAT FEELING. How do you go from feeling like you are a awesome dancer one day to feeling like you totally suck another day? Ok I know how, doing a style your strong at vs. doing a style your not strong at. I know that its the days like today that really make you grow and learn as a dancer, pushing yourself in classes/styles that your uncomfortable with. And I did try and push myself I really did. But I got to a point that I was so frustrated, lost and overwhelmed that I mentally just gave up. So what do ya do? Just keep on dancing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I found your blog. WOOHOO. Ps..the answer is YES KEEP DANCIN' on Girl. :) let the frustration push you harder, not defeat you. hope to see u tonight at your BDAY dinner ;) yipee for birthdays
I think that's GREAT that you are taking classes! THAT SOUNDS SOOOOO FUN!!! I would suck at it though! haha I really do admire you and all the fun hobbies that you have! I need a hobby. I feel like besides my husband and kids... I have no life!
I totally know the feeling!
I recommend the Ekhart Tolle "The Power of Now" route.
Do things in the moment, for the the moment, and with the sole purpose of doing....period.
Detatch yourself (and your thoughts, and your emotions) from the outcome and live solely in the present.
Easier said than done. (and I'd be lying if I said that I was able to do it all the time)
And, P.S., you kick trash for stretching outside of your comfort zone and letting your ego (what little there is...due to the fact that you're bloody awesome) get it's pants kicked all over the dance floor. ha ha!
Keep on dancin' on for sure.
look at the bright side at least you have the time to take a dance class and push yourself! and yes my answer is to always keep and dancing even used metaphorically!
Post a Comment