Monday, August 3, 2009

Another Life Lesson

There is something I have been working on a lot lately, for about the last year. This thing has made my life a WHOLE LOT BETTER. I have been experiencing much happiness in my life because this thing has been in check. And that thing is............ balance. I know and believe now that life is all about balance. Let me give you some examples: 1- Its not worth having a perfectly clean home, if my child and husband are not being given enough attention by me because I'm to busy cleaning. 2- Its not worth having a perfectly manicured yard if my dog doesn't get to play in it and enjoy himself. 3- Its not worth having a perfectly tone, lean body if I don't get to eat anything I want and I feel miserable and deprived because of that. 4- Its not worth working out in the morning if I didn't get enough sleep the night before or I don't feel well, or I just plain old really don't feel like doing it. 5- Its not worth working your A off if you don't ever sit back and smell the roses and enjoy the fruits of your labor. 6- Its not worth being "super mom" if I feel frazzled and stressed because I have not taken enough "me time" to re charge my batteries. 7- It not worth taking pictures so I can blog if I truly am not enjoying myself (and/or the picture taking is annoying myself or others), the point of pictures is preserving good memories right? not pretending like we are having a good time, so I can blog about it and make myself feel and others think that I have a great life. Let me talk specifically about the body/working out/eating part. I am a recovering yo yo dieter. I used to sort of be all or nothing when it came to fitness and eating habits. I was either working out super hard everyday and being on a super strict diet OR I'd "fall off the wagon" and overeat for a few days or a week and gain everything back I had lost. I read a book about a year ago called "intuitive eating" that truly changed my life. I would highly recommend it to anyone who has this same problem. It teaches you how to break the yo yo dieting cycle, Which is 1- desire to be thin 2- so you go on a diet 3- you feel deprived 4- so you binge/overeat 5- you gain weight back due to overeating 6- You have the desire to be thin again so you go on another diet and thus the vicious cycle repeats itself. I was on this cycle for YEARS before I read the book and made a commitment to make a change in my life. I can honestly say I am the most balanced now that have been in a LONG TIME, in all aspects of my life. And I finally have a healthy relationship with food and my body. I feel like I have it all. I guess that's what balance does for you, allows you to have it all, and I like that.

2 comments:

Sara said...

That is so smart. I agree...it doesn't matter if my dishes are done, if I'm missing my son's smiles and milestones. I've had to learn balance too as a new mom. I guess we just keep learning.

Ashley said...

So very true.